29 December 2009

Why social safety nets are important

A fairly wealthy-sounding financial/legal professional wrote to Andrew Sullivan, after being downsized (a small bit of a larger email):

Before this year I never gave much thought to social programs, frankly, I neither needed or qualified for them. However, when the time came that I needed assistance, the government was there to help. I am extremely grateful to our President and his allies in Congress, as their policies have had an immediate and direct impact on my family. Without the MHA and Cobra subsidy, it is likely that we would have lost our home and filed for bankruptcy.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people only realize this importance after they are affected themselves. Hopefully his story can influence others who don't need them yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment