Seriously, it's pretty amazing when you consider the sheer amount of poo flung during this whole process that something approaching a half-way decent bill seems to be emerging from this process. Here is but a brief list of some of the crap that got us to this point:
- socialism!!!11!!11, err, um Communism!!!11! (to be fair, these tactics had already been trotted out during the presidential election), I mean fascism or maybe Nazism!!!!!1!
- summer '09: crazy wingnuts scream at members of Congress about tyranny
- the teabag movement (copyright Fox News 2009)
- protesters literally routinely comparing health care reform to Hitler's policies and making pictures of the President as Hitler
- Max Baucus' wanktastic finance committee machinations, and then Chuck Grassley turning on him
- Olympia Snowe's grandstanding
- "They're gunna take yur Medicare!!!1!" (even though we viciously opposed and probably continue to oppose Medicare)
- Sarah Palin's Twitter feed
- the Stupak Amendment
- big insurance backed ad campaign
- Senator Eeyore
- Ben Nelson's most recent hissyfit
- DEATH PANELS!!!!!!!
A veritable gauntlet of douchebaggery.