17 December 2009

Update on the Uyghurs in Cambodia

The Chinese government has officially asked for them to be extradited back to China to face charges in connection with the rioting that occurred over the summer.

From the sounds of things, the Chinese want ALL of the Uyghurs extradited as criminals, even the three children. While I'll be the first to say that I've seen some rowdy children, I really doubt that these kids has much to do with the riots.

I'm really hoping Cambodia holds its position, and grants them the asylum they are looking for. I know that China considers all things Uyghur-related to be internal matters, but once these people made it out, it's not.

I really believe that the tension between the increasingly nationalistic Han and the increasingly pan-Turkic and pan-Muslim Uyghurs is going to keep increasing until something blows. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment