24 March 2010

Why I dismiss conservative fears about federal power

Andrew Sullivan posted this as today's "Malkin Award Nominee":

"With politicians now having not only access to our most confidential records, and having the power of granting or withholding medical care needed to sustain ourselves or our loved ones, how many people will be bold enough to criticize our public servants, who will in fact have become our public masters?" -Thomas Sowell, Real Clear Politics.

While it definitely counts as over the top right-wing craziness, it really infuriates me beyond most. This is because, while scare-mongering (and lying) about health care reform, Sowell has no problem advocating for the kind of federal powers that are actually about life and death. For instance, he has defended torture and arbitrary detention, both of which we know have been applied to American citizens.

Gee, which should worry me more? That the government will see that I broke my leg, or that they can torture me and keep me locked away forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment