24 January 2010

Weekend Recipe blog


Normally Slim does these, but I'm rather proud of this one. It's ridiculously simple, and it makes one of the boogey-man foods of my childhood rather tasty. (Credit for the recipe goes to the best food educator I've ever seen, Alton Brown.)

The ingredients are simple:

1 lb. fresh (NOT frozen!) brussels sprouts
1/2 cup of water
1/4 tsp. of salt.

Cut any excess stems off the sprouts, and split them longways. Put them in a pot with the 1/2 cup of water and the 1/4 tsp. of salt. (The water will NOT cover them. That's ok! We're not boiling them.)

Cover and cook on high for 5 minutes.

That's it. There's a pleasant aroma, not the funk I remember from my childhood. They're perfectly tender without being mushy, and have a bit of a funky taste without being bitter and nasty. I'll be making these as often as I can find fresh brussels sprouts for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment