19 January 2010

Teabaggers Triumphant

Ladies and gentlemen, the guy who is replacing Teddy Kennedy in the United States Senate.

I know that Martha Coakley was a terrible candidate, but I was really annoyed by the fact that the most frequent thing brought up about her in the media was the Curt Schilling anecdote. We have elevated the "likeability" and "having a beer with the candidate" factor to absurd proportions in recent elections (see Bush, George W) and, as a result, we are getting absurd electoral contests.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I could give a damn less how much I relate to Candidate X or whether she bails hay or drives a pickup truck or castrates cattle or whatever. I'll vote for a candidate who's a complete prick if they'll make a concerted effort to produce sound public policy (see, for a poor example, Scott Brown's attempt to allow hospital employees to deny emergency contraception). So, congrats Mass. We probably won't get climate legislation or financial regulatory reform because you liked that naked guy's truck. Who knows about health care (don't get me started on Brown's absurd position on this).

I'm consoling myself with this video tonight, but now even it kind of makes me sad since the Chargers are out =/

No comments:

Post a Comment