12 November 2009

Preparing for any eventuality


Armchair Generalist links to a Defense News piece about US-ROK plans for dealing with DPRK nukes after the regime falls apart. I'm glad that the Pentagon has realized how much more dangerous North Korean instability can be than North Korean attack. In particular, nobody wants rogue elements within the North Korean state (or starving scientists in the worst-case post-Soviet scenario) getting those bombs or even the nuclear material. While I'm not saying that this should be the center of planning, it is important.

One thing that the original article notes that I think Armchair Generalist neglects is the China angle. I believe that these are the kind of plans that can and should be shared with China, to the degree consistent with national security. Any intervention in North Korea will be politically perilous, and surprising China with it would only make that worse. If we can even get Chinese support in a post-collapse intervention, so much the better. Obviously, capabilities, yada yada yada should be protected, but if there was ever a moment to show trust and hopefully build some in return, this could be it.

1 comment:

  1. I did have someone comment about the China aspect. I will suggest that, while I didn't think about it, neither have the OSD planners... I think they're assuming that China will stay out and let the S.K. govt take over the mess, rather than all those refugees pouring into its country. But yeah, hope that there is some coordination there.
    V/R
    J.

    ReplyDelete